Posted By: 20 September 2022
Undergraduate Courses in USA for Indian Students
The Land of Aspirations or the USA allows several people to fulfill their dreams. If you are somebody who’s willing to pursue the course of their dreams in the country, you’ve landed on the right page. In this blog, we will discuss the undergraduate study in USA. Moreover, we will also focus on all the streams, including commerce, science, and arts in order to help you decide better.
Finally, the list of universities recommended for each stream will further aid you in shortlisting your universities. So without delaying further, let’s dive right into the details of undergraduate courses.
Requirements for Undergraduate Student Applications
Before you start thinking about which major or university you want, let us have a look at all the requirements for applying to a university in the USA. Although every university has different criteria for admission, there are some common requirements as well. Ideally, as an international student, you will need the following:
- Copy of your valid passport
- Letter of recommendations
- Standardized test scores
- English proficiency test scores (PTE Academic, iTEP, IELTS, TOEFL)
- ACT or SAT
- Educational transcripts of earlier qualifications
- Statement of purpose
- Work experience letter
- Bank statements
- Certificates of extra-curricular activities
- University acceptance letter
Some universities or colleges may also need proof of finances for global students. Further, some universities may ask the students to undergo an interview process as well.
Remember that application deadlines are crucial. For colleges that are selective in admitting students based on early decision or action, you will be required to submit your applications by December latest.
Cost of Studying Undergraduate in USA for Indian Students
In the US, the expenses associated with college are annually charged. These include supplies, books, living expenses, tuition fees, and health insurance. In the simplest words, studying at a university in the US is costly. However, what sets these universities apart from others is that there are need-based, service-based, artistic, athletic, and academic financial aids available. While these vary from one college to another, they follow the same idea overall.
In case you do not have enough funds to pay for your undergraduate course in the US, you may ask your college advisors regarding the applications for fellowships, grants, assistantships, etc. There are various scholarships for Indian students to study in USA undergraduate.
Ideally, the scholarships are of four kinds:
- Organization provided
- Subject-specific scholarships
- Program-specific scholarship
- Government-funded scholarship
When it finally comes down to deciding on a college, do not cancel your plans to go to a certain university simply because its total costs are higher than others. Rather, look for financial aid offered for global students.
However, it is best to be aware of the overall costs of universities. In general, the undergraduate study costs depend on the kind of course and college you are opting for. Ideally, it is also dependent on the lifestyle of the student. Nonetheless, it can be said that the fee varies from 6 lakhs to 32 lakhs a year.
While the requirements for eligibility are similar to the application necessities, this section will provide you with a better overall understanding of the criteria for applying to a US university. Given below is a checklist for the same.
- The student must obtain an application letter from a university based in the US.
- The applicant must be 18 years or older.
- Students must possess a statement of purpose along with letters of recommendation.
- Applicants must have good scores in standardized examinations such as the ACT or SAT. A minimum SAT score of around 800 is crucial for getting admitted to a US university.
- The student must obtain a minimum score on a proficiency exam for the English language, like IELTS or TOEFL.
- The applicant must have completed his or her 12th standard from a recognized educational institution with a minimum of scores specified by the course and the university. A GPA of at least 2.50 to 3.60 is crucial for a majority of the courses.
Study in USA Based on Your Stream
There are several world-class universities in the US that offer a variety of courses. Based on your 12th stream along with your course choice, you can decide which university you wish to apply to. We have shared below a list of some of the most renowned universities and popular courses based on different streams.
If you are a science student but do not wish to pursue natural sciences, such as physics, biology, or chemistry, pure sciences are the right choice for you. In such a case, you can opt for one of the following courses from these universities:
- B.S. in Applied Physics - Columbia University
- B.Sc. in Chemistry - John Hopkins University
- B.S. in Biological Chemistry - University of Chicago
- Bachelor of Science from Physics - Stanford University
- Bachelor of Biology - California Institute of Technology
If you belong to Arts, you have the following choices for courses. Since there’s a wide variety of these, you can look for universities offering majors in the fields you are interested in.
- Hospitality and tourism management
- Humanities and arts
- Fine arts
For students who have studied commerce during their 12th and wish to pursue the same, they have choices in fields like Management, Accounting, Economics, and Finance. The following are the universities you can consider for the same:
- Princeton University
- The University of California, Berkeley (UCB)
- Stanford University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Harvard University
- Bryant & Stratton College
- Briar Cliff University
- American University
- Adelphi University
- The University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
The Final Word
Undertaking an undergraduate course in the US can be a great experience for Indian students. And with the wide variety of choices regarding the courses to opt from, it widens the scope of development overall. However, the costs of living in the US and pursuing an undergraduate program are very high. Nonetheless, you can always apply for the scholarship programs offered by universities all over the country.