We  are  Online   

USA Student Visa for Indian Students

Quick Enquiry
USA Student Visa for Indian Students

  Posted On: 11 October 2023

USA Student Visa for Indian Students

A vast number of students choose American Universities to pursue their preferred courses. Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa. You must have a student visa to study in the USA. The type of visa depends on your course of study and the type of school you get your eyes set on.

Understanding F visa and M visa

Students willing to study in the United States must learn about the F-1 student visa application process. In this blog, we will explore the USA visa guide, F-1 visa, F-1 visa rules and F-1 visa requirements.

Institution type

Visa type required

University or college




High school

Private elementary School


Academic institution for language training




Recognised non-academic institution other than a language training program

F-1 Visa

The USA's most popular type of student visa is the F-1 student visa. It is a non-immigrant visa type that allows international students to study in the USA institutions certified by the SEVP (student and exchange visitor program). Students can apply for the F-1 visa after an accredited USA institution accepts their application.

The duration of the stay varies according to the program students are enrolled in. The university provides an I-20 form, which mentions the expiration date of the enrolled program, thus giving you an outline of how long one can remain in the USA.

Students can apply for the Optional Practical Training (OPT) after graduation. This will permit the students to work for up to 12 months in the USA. STEM graduates require two additional years of work experience to stay in the USA.

F-1 visa requirements

Following is the list of requirements needed for the visa application to get accepted:

English language proficiency:

The English proficiency test score varies according to the degree and institution to which one is applies. Therefore, it is important to meet the eligibility criteria of the desired university to study in the USA.

Institution certification:

A SEVP Immigration and Custom Enforcement-approved college or university is a must if you want to study in the USA.

Full-time Enrolment

Enrolling as a full-time student at the institution is required during the academic term.

Home country residency:

Students are required to have a residence in their respective home country so that they can return after completing their degree.

Sufficient funding

Students must prove they have sufficient funds to finance their studies and living expenses in the USA.

Valid passport

The Passport should be valid for at least six months after the completion date of the enrolled program.

How to Apply for an F-1 Visa?

To get started with your visa process, let us explore the five steps to the application process

  1. Get accepted by a SEVP-certified institution
  2. Get your I-20 form

The following information is recorded in the SEVIS once you are issued the I-20 form

  • Your SEVIS ID number
  • Program start and end dates
  • Enrolled program details
  • Funding sources
  • Cost of attendance at your institution
  • Other personal information 

Make sure all the information in the I-20 form is accurate.

Retain your I-20 form to get access to the country.

  1. Pay your SEVIS Fee
  • Includes the student visa fees, processing and maintenance fees
  • Cost is $510,
  • Save the fee receipt
  1. Complete your DS- 160 Visa application

Documents required

  • I-20 form, passport, travel itinerary, passport photographs
  • Cost is $ 160
  1. Schedule your Visa interview

Find the nearest US embassy and schedule your interview.

  1. Attend your visa interview

Documents required for visa admission -

  • A valid passport
  • Printed copies of DS-160 and SEVIS payment confirmations
  • I-20 form
  • School transcript and official test scores
  • Bank statements
  • Evidence of your intention to depart the USA

Tips to Remember

Points to remember

  • Make sure that you enter the USA 30 days before your program begins.
  • Contact your designated school official (DS0) as soon as your arrive.