We  are  Online   

Life After Graduation in Australia for International Students:Explore options and Types of Visas

Quick Enquiry
Life After Graduation in Australia for International Students:Explore options and Types of Visas

  Posted On: 05 January 2024

Life After Graduation in Australia for International Students:Explore options and Types of Visas

We all know that Australia is a land of opportunities for students who dream big and aspire to expand their career opportunities. Every year, Australia sees lakhs of international students graduating from prestigious colleges and universities. Despite having countless opportunities in the land of kangaroos, does every student know the options for international students after graduation in Australia? With the fall of the New Year, Graduates, you have some important decisions to make. Read the blog to explore some ideas.

Further Studies in Australia

Higher education in Australia is popular among international students, mainly because of the fee structure and attractive availability of scholarships in Australia. International students choose to stay in Australia to complete further studies and gain higher qualifications. Well, students, this is also a good idea to maximise your time in Australia. Continuing to stay in Australia for your higher education will enable you to get the most out of an education system you are familiar with and get trained in the most in-demand skills to get a job in your area of interest.

International students can either continue studying at their current institution or move to a different institution for better experiences and opportunities. Before you choose to extend your stay in Australia for higher education, make sure you have the finances to meet your student visa requirements, educational expenses, and health coverage. Also, remember to apply for your chosen course by the deadline.

Must Read Masters in Australia for International Students

Return Home

Well, if you do not wish to continue to live or work in Australia after you graduate, most likely you will be returning to your home land. However, once you have lived in a foreign land for a longer time, it can be difficult to pack everything up, cancel services such as electricity, bank accounts, and as well as selling plentiful of items that you cannot take home with you. You can get back home and start your own business, either you can opt to pursue higher education in your own land or simply just get your job with perks you earned from your degree in Australia.

Extend Your Stay in Australia

Beautiful landscapes, diverse culture and educational excellence in Australia are three curved-out reasons that help in diverting international students’ minds from “will come back after completing studies to thinking of staying back in Australia”. Even if you no longer intend to complete further studies and you may wish to extend your time in Australia to work or travel, Australia has that option open for you.

International students can choose from a range of other temporary visa options through the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). Let us explore a few options that you can opt for after your graduation is completed.

  • Working Holidays

People aged between 18 and 30 from approved countries are eligible to apply for a working holiday visa or a work and holiday visa. This provision allows them to travel and work for up to 12 months.

  • Gain Work Experiences

This globalised world demands professional work experiences. Engineering, accounting and computer science graduates are allowed to complete a Professional Year Program, a 12-month program specifically designed to help them gain excellence in industry-specific skills through work experiences.

Well, this program is beneficial for students who want to qualify for permanent residency in Australia, as this course can help you earn an extra five points to qualify for a skilled migrant visa, thus helping you reach your dream jobs in Australia.

  • Travel

A feeling of exhaustion can naturally come to you if you are engaged in the same kind of work for more than 3 years. Therefore, many students decide to take a break upon completion of their studies. Australia is a land of spectacles, from the beautiful landscapes to world-famous reefs; you can have the opportunity to explore Australia after the completion of your studies. If you want to spend some time exploring the country, a tourist visa or other temporary visa would be a good option.

Must Read Visit extraordinary Australian Cities
  • Apply for VISA

Unlike in some other English-speaking countries, there is no automatic right associated with the student visa to stay and work for a specific period in Australia after completing your degree. When you receive your student visa, the government allows you to stay in the country temporarily for study, with the understanding that you will leave after completion of the course, or that’s when the visa expires.

However, Australia continues to demand workers from foreign lands and students who have earned a degree from an Australian university. They can apply for a particular work visa category. There are several visa categories for international students.

Must Read Visa Guidelines to study in Australia

Australia relies on the point system to check individual’s eligibility for most visas. Along with the point system, your application will be taken for evaluation. Below mentioned are a few categories that gain you points:

  • English Mastery
  • Between 19 and 44 years of age
  • Australian Qualifications ( length of study)
  • Work Experience
  • Sponsorship
  • Occupation ( in-demand sectors elevates your points)

Graduate rules and requirements tend to change often. Therefore, we recommend that you should make an appointment with your university counsellors to discuss your options before you graduate.

Here are a few of the categories of visas that are available if you are choosing to extend your stay after graduation in Australia:

Graduate Skilled Visa (subclass 485)

With this visa, you can: This temporary visa allows you to live, study and work in Australia after you have finished your studies. Well, you can also bring your immediate family members to stay with you with this visa type.

Stay: You are allowed to stay in Australia for 18 months to 6 years, depending on your qualifications. Hong Kong AND British National Overseas Passport holders are allowed to stay for 5 years.

You must: You must be under 50 years of age and must be onshore at the time you apply for this visa. You must have a recent degree in a CRICOS- registered course and have just completed at least 2 years of study in Australia.

Training and Research Visa (subclass 402)

With this visa, you can: undertake occupational training and participate in professional development programme.

Stay: with this visa, you are allowed to stay for up to 2 years while being sponsored by an employer.

You must: be an academic, invited to collaborate in a research project by an Australian tertiary or research institute if you are a student or recent graduate who wants to undertake a research session related to your field of study. Or you are an elite sportsperson participating in high-level sports training.

Skilled- Regional Sponsored Visa (subclass 487)

With this visa, you could be able to get a Bridging visa that allows you to stay in Australia lawfully, while your application is being processed. This visa provides a pathway for permanent residency while allowing you to work for three years in a specialized regional area.

Skilled-Regional Residence Visa (subclass 887)

With this visa, you can: work and study anywhere in Australia, sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence and apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible.

You must: You must have lived for at least 2 years and worked full-time for at least 1 year in a specified regional area and have sufficient points for the conditions of eligible visa.

Stay: You are allowed to stay and work permanently in Australia with this visa type, which awards you permanent residency.

Must Read Courses that can lead to a PR in Australia
Skilled-independent Residence Visa (subclass 885)

This visa allows you to live as a permanent resident and work without needing to be sponsored.

Skilled Sponsored Resident Visa (subclass 886)

This visa allows an overseas student to apply for permanent residency and work while being sponsored by an employer.

While a few students opt for higher studies, many are one step into their job life, and a very few choose to return to their homeland to bring into practice what they have acquired through their education and experiences by staying in Australia, which is quite inspiring.

Reach out to SIEC for Application inquiries and assistance.

Read more insightful articles: