Posted By: 17 October 2023
Commonwealth Scholarships – 2024
Today's interconnected world demands innovative and quality education beyond boundaries. If you are from a Commonwealth country and want to pursue education in a study - abroad destination, but you can't afford to fund your studies on your own, then you could be an ideal candidate for a Commonwealth scholarship.
Commonwealth Scholarship details
The Commonwealth Scholarships scheme is available to students from across the Commonwealth nations (India, Bangladesh, Belgium, Malaysia, and Uganda) who would not otherwise be able to afford to study in the UK.
- Students from India can avail of this scholarship in three countries – Singapore, the United Kingdom and New Zealand.
- This scheme is designed to attract potential talent to UK Universities, thus supporting sustainable development overseas and British International Development goals.
- Each year, around 600+ students are given the opportunity to undertake postgraduate degrees in UK universities, where Commonwealth Scholarships are awarded to talented students with the potential to make an extraordinary impact on the global stage.
|Commonwealth details in Nutshell
|• The Commonwealth Scholarship is Merit- based
|• This historic scholarship is mainly offered to students seeking financial support and who have satisfactory academic records.
|• Under this Scholarship, the financial support is only provided until the duration of the program
• Financial support under Commonwealth Scholarships does not include financial aid for the financial semesters.
|• The Commonwealth Scholarship covers tuition fees, travel expenses (airfare to and from the UK)
|• The Commonwealth Scholarships is Available for students pursuing Master’s or Doctoral programs in a study-abroad destination University.
|• Department for Business, Department for International Development, Department for Education and the Energy & Industrial Strategy.
Commonwealth Scholarships Commission Development Themes
All Commonwealth scholarships are offered under six Commonwealth Scholarship Commission themes –
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity.
Eligibility Criteria for the Commonwealth Scholarship
International students applying for the Commonwealth Scholarships are required to fulfil certain eligibility criteria that vary according to the level of degree and top-ranked universities they choose to apply. Below listed are the requirements for applicants opting for a master’s and Ph.D. in any top universities in UK
Eligibility criteria for students applying for Master’s degree program in the UK
- A student must be below 40 years.
- A student must be a citizen of any commonwealth country (listed above)
- A student must have the minimum qualification of a bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum score of 60 per cent in Social science and 65 per cent in Science.
- A student must not have registered for the degree at two Universities.
Eligibility criteria for students applying for Ph.D. program in the UK
- A student must be below 40 years.
- A student must be a citizen of any Commonwealth country.
- A student must be able to afford to study at a university in the UK.
- A student must have a master’s degree or is in the program’s final year.
- A minimum score of 60 per cent or above in social science and 65 per cent in science.
- A student must not have registered for Ph.D. program or MPhil at any other University.
Commonwealth Scholarship details and benefits
Many talented students have been given the opportunity to complete their education at the best universities abroad through this prestigious scholarship. Commonwealth Scholarship has benefited over 20,000 students worldwide.
|Common benefits of the Commonwealth Scholarship
|• Covers Financial aid for Tuition fees and accommodation expenses
|• Includes airfare from the home country to the UK as well as the return ticket only after the completion of the course.
|• If the applicant is a single parent, the following are provided –
A child allowance of GBP 465 per month for the first child and GBP 114 for the second and the third child below 16 years is covered.
|• Approved allowance for warm clothes
Specific benefits of the Commonwealth Scholarship
Airfare Expenses for a mid-term visit to the homeland.
When the work is done overseas, fieldwork grants are provided.
Study-related travel expenses within the UK or overseas.
4 years ( duration of the program)
2 years (duration of the program)
For an 18 month long Scholarship, the following allowance is provided:
spouse allowance of 233 GBP per month
Additional benefits for Disabled.
Application process of the Commonwealth Scholarships for the Indian Students
Depending on the type of scholarship you are applying for, students are required to submit their applications through the following
- National Nominating Agency,
- University of your choice,
- Non-Governmental Organisation.
Every commonwealth country has its own nominating bodies abiding by their own set of rules, deadlines and eligibility criteria. To begin with the applications for Commonwealth Scholarships, you are required to submit the following supporting documents.
- Documents of proofs of exams to study in the UK like language proficiency test proof, graduation certificates and other academic excellence transcripts.
- Admission letter from a university in the UK.
- Scanned Copy of passport and tickets.
- Proof of Citizenship.
- Two letters of reference.
Step1- Visit the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission website and register for a new account.
Step2- Choose the CSC theme, university and course.
Step3- Fill in the personal and academic details.
Step3- Answer the question related to the chosen course, achievement, awards, etc.
Step4- Attach the necessary documents and submit the application.
Selection process of Commonwealth Scholarships for the Indian Students
Step 1- Candidates need to apply to Universities in the UK that fall under it.
Step. 2- Following the application, a process of application shortlisting is carried out by the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
Step 3- Students are then interviewed by a panel of the British Council, followed by which a final list is prepared.
Points to keep in mind
- There is no reservation for any country specifically.
- An Application must be very clean and clear because academic advisers review every application, and the decision is based on that.
Lists of Universities and colleges accepting Commonwealth Scholarships
- Durham University
- Bath Spa University
- Birmingham City University
- Cranfield University
- University of Oxford
- Heriot-Watt University
- Imperial College London
- Keele University
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- University of West London
- University of Surrey
- Liverpool Hope University
- London South Bank University
- University of Sussex
- University of Warwick
- University of Leeds
- University of Lincoln
Meet our experts at SIEC and get your UK Student Visa ready!