Posted By: 02 November 2023
TOEFL, or the Test of English as a Foreign Language, assesses the proficiency of English language of students or professionals who want to enrol in study abroad programs in universities or institutions. The four fundamental language abilities which are evaluated in the test are - reading, listening, speaking, and writing.
The TOEFL is one of the most crucial tests for people who want to study or work abroad and need to prove their English language skills. The Education Testing Service (ETS) administers the TOEFL to assess applicants in four areas: reading, listening, speaking, and writing. The TOEFL is conducted in both offline (paper-based) and online (internet-based) formats, but the internet-based TOEFL iBT is the most popular. It measures a test-taker's proficiency in comprehending English-language texts, audio recordings, and intellectual discussions, as well as their ability to communicate effectively in both spoken and written English.
The TOEFL test stands out from the rest as it does not follow a fixed syllabus as in traditional academic courses. Instead, it offers a comprehensive evaluation of your overall command of the English language in both theoretical and practical contexts. This means that your ability to understand, communicate proficiently and effectively in English will be thoroughly assessed. With that said, you can expect that each section of the test will provide you with a unique and challenging experience.
Achieve a higher score in TOEFL Test by following our proven strategy - Improve your grammar, vocabulary, and time management skills, and practice with sample questions. Gain access to official ETS materials to ensure you're prepared to achieve a top score.
Check out the brief outline below to get an idea of what to expect in each section.
- Comprehension of academic texts.
- Recognising the crucial ideas, supporting details, and conclusions.
- Recognising the layout and organisation of passages.
- Vocabulary and proficiency in academic language.
- Listening to literary lectures and debates.
- Understanding the key points, and inferences of literary data.
- Being able to identify speakers' intentions, emphasis more on speaker’s tonality.
- Determining how verbal literary data is structured.
- Voicing opinions on well-known subjects.
- Explaining and summarising literary content from readings & lectures.
- Coherently integrating and organising ideas.
- Avoiding misunderstandings and ensure clear communication, while accuracy in intonation and pronunciation is crucial.
- Providing a coherent response while summarising information from reading and listening sources.
- Narrating opinions on subjects that you read, while offering justifications and proofs for the views you hold.
The TOEFL is widely accepted as a measure of English language proficiency in international education. It is crucial to demonstrate your English language abilities to succeed in courses at international universities. We all know that preparing for the TOEFL test can be stressful, but with adequate preparation, you can approach the test with confidence and achieve your desired TOEFL score. To prepare for the test, it is recommended to develop a strategic study plan and apply efficient methods mentioned above.
Feel free to contact our consultants and test prep experts at SIEC.